So, I do not mean to sound Jerry Seinfeld here, but is this thing The Midori Traveler’s Notebook, or is it The Traveler’s notebook, which happens to be have notebooks made by Midori?
I have been using the Lihit Labs A5 cover, before this. I have been talking myself out of getting this system for over a year now, but with an impending trip to New York coming up I was basically obligated to get it. I mean, we will be traveling, and this is the Traveler’s Notebook, it just would not have made sense otherwise, right?
I am not going to list paperweight, dimensions, materials, everyone else does that and, if you have made it to this point, I am betting you can read, and all that information can be found here. Really, I cannot do reviews of a lot of things, I have tried it, and I realized my problem was the technical standpoint, I am no good with it. My area is the emotional realm, the personal, the…this isn’t true either. My area is the inconsequential and unnecessary.
The Midori (as I will henceforth call it), is not simply a notebook, it is a system. When you order it, it will show up in a cloth bag, which is in a box, and that is in plastic. If you are OCD, you will love it. I did not even want to open it. It was neat and orderly, it was something you find in a clean room ( I have never found a clean room) and it just had a wonderful symmetry to it. It is like buying a new shirt, you dont want to take it out of the plastic and remove the pins, you know it will never go back.
When you do open it, after you have enjoyed the packaging, you will find inside the bag the cover and a plain notebook. I have not used the plain as I enjoy lined and grid paper. The way this works is it has a main band attached through the leather and this…lug?
If you use just the notebook it comes with, you can just put the band on the staple page (dead middle) and walk away. If you use more than that, you will need to order some of the hand elastic bands.
I placed the lined notebook in the picture so that you could see how they package things. It is beautiful, it even has a nice little number on it. Anyhow, the elastic bands, you use these to stick multiple objects into the system. You place one around the front cover of one notebook and the back of the other and voila! Me? I have four things in mine so far, with a fifth probably on the way. This is my lay out.
So I have a zipper pocket, a file folder, a daily planner, and a notebook. The zipper pocket and the file folder are placed under the main band as the anchors, and then I put a notebook on either side of the file folder and placed an elastic band around the covers and the kraft file, BAM! Amazing notebook.
Why does this appeal to me? I think this requires a trip back in time.
That is my journal from high school and partly just after. If you see the stuff sticking out of it, you will see that it is chocked full of souvenirs. It has tickets, flower petals, movie stubs, a drink ticket after an ABI party in Germany, a drawing I stole out of a bathroom stall of Hitler using a toilet brush on himself, all kinds of stuff. If you are still reading this then you know what is going on here. The people who read this kind of stuff, you, they know notebooks. The best way to describe this is, the way outsiders would, I like to stuff my notebooks full of crap.
The travelers notebook facilitates this! You do not have to break the spine of a book, and you do not have to depend on the back pocket like in a Moleskine, because while the back pocket is cool, it is only good for me to get the stuff back, I need it to be put in with the page that it goes with. The notebooks for this thing are small, so they will be used quick, probably before I bust the spine. That is not the best part. The best part is that they make accessories for it, like double sided stickers for mementos, or, and this is the best, STICKER POCKETS!!!!!!!. The sticker pockets are stickers applied to a page that put a pocket on it, and I do not know if they are purposefully this size, but it is the perfect size for Fuji Instax photos! Which I love to stick in a journal. They used to be such a process, but no longer! The stickers and pockets come on a sheet that is, of course, sized to the Midori books so they fit in your accessories pockets!!! The OCD is just being stroked sensually!
Everything fits together, and I love it. I have not even gotten around to the actual paper. Do not buy this if you hate ghosting (where you can see what is written on the other side of the page. I have used both fountain pen, and regular pen, pencils of all sorts, and they work great, unless you hate ghosting. Let’s go down the line of what I love and how I use it.
- It has room for two months, with a 31 slot index before each one.
- Each page is numbered, so you can use it as the day of the month or a page number
- A slot to check off which day of the week it is.
- One page, one day.
- This leads to the notebook
- I enjoy the paper quality
- There is enough room to throw a date on it and use it like a journal i I need more space than is allotted by the daily planner
- Because they are paired up with the daily planner, I do not feel the need to number the pages or conserve, it is simply an extensions, so paste all photos!
- Did I mention the price isn’t bad once you are just buying the notebooks?
- I currently use it for stamps, envelopes, basic stationary…despite there not being any tear out stationary…I’ll fix that
- I plan to put an eraser or two, which was basically impossible with he Lihit cover
- I could put a pocket notebook in the front pocket, but the back would be better.
- The back pocket is not a zipper, but it is an open faced pocket, two actually one on either side. I store the stickers and sticker pockets in it. I will leave one open in which I will place things I pick up until I get home and can put them in the notebook, temporary storage.
- Two sides, pockets on the inside, one per page, that allow you to store things you may need through out the day. Each one also has a smaller slot for things like business cards.
- I plan on using it to hold our items for our trip, plane tickets, show tickets, schedules, reservations. It is kind of the official type of pocket. The formal pocket.
This may become my go to system. I will come back with an update after New York.
The parts I plan on ordering are some pan am stickers which will go in the pockets, so that my travel writing it kitche, a pen holder, a book mark/stencil, and a weekly planner. I feel the need for a weekly spot. This system could really fill the gap for those who need a bullet journal, but hate the idea of drawing their own planner pages, like me. This is officially part of my EDC. It comes with one leather page marker in it, and I made one out of a thing my kids made me for Father’s Day, but I think you could put more leather cord into the lug.
I will tell you my favorite part. When you are finished for the day, you put the second elastic, which is tied in the back, around it to keep it closed, and you throw it down on the table, it hits with a heavy satisfying thud of a notebook that speaks of someone who is well travelled and worldly. When you hear this thing hit the table, you know people know you are interesting because of your heavy leather notebook.